Monday, August 10, 2009

To Notice

Edit: I originally wrote this a good month or so after reading "The Noticer" the first time. I just read it again, and I have goodness to add. Just get this book, open your mind, and forget that it says "self-help" on the back because it's not a self-help book. It's a book about perspective and the beautiful way our relationships with each other can encourage growth. That is all.

Andy Andrews has a new book out called "The Noticer." It's an incredible book that challenges the reader to offer a perspective change to people in your life. It changed my perspective of my own life. I've been incredibly blessed to have "Noticers" placed in my life at various stages. These people have spoken truth into my life when I have been absolutely incapable of seeing it by myself. My life has been radically blessed by these people who have offered a fresh perspective when I've been too focused on my own problems to see the gifts in my life and the talents in my heart.

Andy Andrews has an incredible story. The book starts with Andy in one of his presumably darkest places. His ability to rise above this no doubt is due in part to his Noticer, Jones. It's a simple story with profound ramifications. It challenged me to be a Noticer, to offer perspective to my struggling friends. As a book, it was beautifully written, quite an easy read, and it has already been passed on to dear friends.

I really challenge you dear friends to pick up a copy of this book and start Noticing. It changes everything, and invites a delicate spirit into your life.

8 comments:

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

ok I will. If you can have a delicate spirit anyone can.

Rachel said...

Smoot, you make me laugh. That's the only reason why I still like.

Totally kidding, of course.

Aymee said...

I totally will. I'm always wanting to read a good book. Btw I miss you. I haven't read the book yet so I might be going out on a limb...but you were always a ''noticer'' to me (for me?) in high school and i will always remember that and always love you for that.

Rachel said...

Aymee, you're so sweet! You're such a dear person to me, even if I haven't seen you in forever. I'll be in Utah for a week or so starting the week after labor day. I have to see you. Love you!

My Boys, Life's Joys said...

I'm gonna find this book and read it. I've been looking for a good book to read for so long, but everyone's suggestions are a far cry from what I actually enjoy reading. This book sounds like a winner though. I like "self-help" books that are inspiring, but not the ones that are completely overwhelming because you feel like you have so many improvements to make before you can regain the self confidence you had before you started the book (or before you even read the cover that highlighted issues you didn't even know you had until you saw them in print).

I'll look the book up on half.com tomorrow, when I order Baby Wise to figure out how to get my baby to nap and sleep through the night, so that I can sleep! Or so I can read a good book while he sleeps :)

I also want to read something light and entertaining. Any suggestions?

My Boys, Life's Joys said...

I forgot to select the option to have follow-up comments emailed to me (so I actually see your reply), so um...that's what I'm doing. I have to make another comment to do so. So yeah. The end.

My Boys, Life's Joys said...

Oh my stupid. I didn't even do it that time either. So I have to comment again. Gees. Did I mention that I never get sleep?

Rachel said...

Hey Melanie, sorry for the delay! I love books. I have lots of suggestions. I'm usually not a fan of self-help books. I feel like they say the same thing over and over. It bugs me, but The Noticer was so simple and perfect.

Good reads...
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Warning about this book: this book is so good you'll be bummed for a long time that it's over. I'm not even kidding. But you have to read it!

Peace Like A River by Leif Enger
There are no words to describe the beauty in this book.

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan
This one has some choice language but it's funny, raw, inspiring, and well just wonderful.

Those 3 should get you started. All very different, but all so great!